Senior Compliance Officer (Environmental and Animal Control Standards)
- Attractive remuneration circa $57,318.56 - $65,041.60 plus super & on-call allowance!
- Enjoy the gorgeous sights and awe-inspiring night skies of the Warrumbungle Shire!
- Achieve a great work/life balance with a 9 day fortnight!
About the Organisation and the Region
Warrumbungle Shire is strategically positioned on the Newell Highway mid-way between Brisbane and Melbourne and features the townships of Coonabarabran, Coolah, Dunedoo Binnaway, Baradine and Mendooran. With a population of nearly 10,000 and a land area of more than 12,000 sq kms, Warrumbungle Shire Council is one of the larger Local Government Areas of Central West NSW.
The beautiful town of Coonabarabran is located on the junction of the Newell and Oxley Highways, and is midway between Melbourne and Brisbane. The town has a hospital, two separate pharmacies, a dentist, a number of doctors, churches, supermarkets, a Bowling Club and a Golf Club. Along with it's famously pristine night sky, the gorgeous scenery is perfect for hiking, with the Warrumbungle National Park nearby. There are also Wineries and Distilleries close by for those who enjoy a good glass of wine.
About the Opportunity
Warrumbungle Shire Council now has an opportunity for an experienced Senior Compliance Officer (Environmental and Animal Control Standards) to join their team in Coonabarabran on a full time basis.
Reporting to the Manager of Planning and Regulation, you will be responsible for ensuring compliance by the community with statutory requirements for environmental and animal control standards. You will be participating in a rotating on-call roster, and will also have access to a range of devices to ensure your safety in this role.
Your day-to-day duties include, but are not limited to;
- Providing support, guidance, and mentoring to the compliance officer;
- Capturing, impounding, and caring for impounded animals, in addition to stock control responsibilities;
- Responding to complaints regarding risks to public health and safety, or possible breaches of legislation or Council regulations;
- Investigating, reporting, and acting as an expert witness in compliance matters across the Local Government Area;
- Informing and educating the public on legislation relating to companion animals, stock control, illegal dumping and any other relevant legislation;
- Carrying out overgrown block and swimming pool inspections, and generating correspondence for the owners; and
- Preparing and completing comprehensive notes and reports on breaches of legislation, to be used as evidence in legal proceedings.
For a copy of the full position description, please click here.
To be successful in this role, you will need a Certificate IV in Local Government (Regulatory Services) or similar, plus demonstrated experience in a similar, animal-focused compliance role. You will also need a sound knowledge of relevant environmental legislation, and experience in interpreting and enforcing it.
It is essential that you are comfortable handling larger animals and have paddock experience, in addition to a current A/B firearms license or a euthanasia accreditation.
Key to your success in this role will be highly developed interpersonal skills, with a particular focus on conflict resolution, and the ability to navigate and diffuse difficult or hostile customer situations.
As they will potentially be used in legal proceedings, you will need to be able to take highly detailed, accurate notes and be confident in your ability to prepare and present any relevant evidence as an expert witness on the Council's behalf.
You will need a current 'C' class Drivers License, and experience driving on a variety of road types, including dirt and other unsealed roads, in a variety of conditions.
About the Benefits
In return for your hard work and dedication, you'll be given a generous remuneration package circa $57,318.56 - $65,041.60 plus super and on-call allowance!
Alongside this, you'll also enjoy four weeks annual leave and fifteen days of sick leave, plus a great work/life balance with a rostered day off every two weeks for a 9-day fortnight!
You can also take advantage of a work vehicle, considerable on-site training, and continued professional development through the Ranger Association.
Warrumbungle Shire Council is looking for a resilient and flexible individual to join their team and help keep people safe. Enjoy making a positive difference in your local community, whilst having the chance to explore and enjoy the Australian Outback!
Don’t miss this exciting opportunity to enjoy the relaxed country atmosphere while making a clear contribution to the community. - Apply Now!
Please Note: Applications close 5.00pm Friday 23rd August,